Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Adapting to work and everyday life in Xian

Hey guys,

So now I was over the arrival stage and getting ready to work.
I showed up at Giraffe and went through my induction, getting to know where everything is, being given my desk, and deleting all the crap the old teacher had on my work pc.

This done, they got started on my training. Ruth is the trainer for us and she is also a supervisor and teacher, probably the most enthusiastic teacher we have in fact. Her classes are always awesome and fun and her kids are the smartest! She had to give me one training lesson a day. I learned all about the philosophy of Giraffe, and the different levels we teach, as well as the standard operating procedures for our open house and Jerry's club days.

I also had to observe classes and help the other teachers out so that I could see how they teach here. The days are packed with awesome little kids, singing songs and learning games. It is a great environment and I feel so happy to be here.

I was skyping the Dragon every evening to tell her about the days events and hearing how her teaching prac is going. it's so nice to compare experiences and swap advice, definitely one of the highlights of my days.

The students who come to Giraffe are between 3 and 12 years old and all go into different categories according to that and their English experience, and they come for classes in the evening and on weekends. i'm amazed by how hard they work already at this age, just shows why China is always so far ahead.

I am really enjoying the school and my colleagues are the best I've ever worked with.
This was a great idea!

Laters
G

No comments:

Post a Comment