Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Government issues

Hey guys,

Thanks for coming back!
The last time we left our intrepid explorer, he was on a bus to Jhb bristling with confidence and hope for the future. I arrived in Jhb and was met at the bus station by a person who can only be described as one of the most caring and best friends I have known Sonja Kapp.

Sonja had made me an offer to stay with her while I was dealing with my visa and stuff for free. I can not tell you what a huge help this was to me. My friend Giliam who invited me to China got his things organised within a month and so this was my timeline in my head.

However, things did not go according to plan, and this is where I have to say if you want to do something you have to commit yourself wholeheartedly or else you will not make it. It took me another 7 months and R24000 worth of debt(thank you Woolworths) before I was to arrive in China and if I hadn't stayed true to my dream and goal i would be in a much different situation now.

Basically some of the South African documents I needed took longer than I expected to get done, and the government in China decided to change their legislation with regards to foreign teachers during my application. I had a job offer signed and stating that i would start in March but the government wanted me to have two years formal experience in teaching to let me in the country, this I did not have!

Now my friend in China did not tell me this was happening and so I was blissfully unaware of why it was taking so long and getting frustrated, however I trust him with my life and he and my employer pulled through and organised my entrance letter just in the nick of time, I basically had my plane ticket and 2000 yuan to my name by the time I left

I also had met and fallen in love with an amazing young woman named Samantha who had helped so much to keep me calm and with my papers and admin. I know we both were terribly unhappy that we had to part but it was necessary and even though our relationship has changed, I will forever cherish and love her for her help and devotion when I needed it most as well as that of her extended family who were so good to me.

Now that the introduction is done, my next post will be about the beginning of my Chinese adventure

G

No comments:

Post a Comment